Wednesday, March 11, 2015

In The Word Wednesday

Hi everyone...Debbie here today with In The Word Wednesday.
I have been doing some personal reflecting on following Jesus more and more in my life.  I read this devotional in Fixing My Eyes on Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz that really spoke to me, and I wanted to share it with you.

CONNECTED TO THE VINE
I am the vine; you are the branches. 
Those who remain in Me, and I in them,
will produce much fruit.
For apart from Me you can do nothing.
John 15:5 (NLT)

The branches of a vine live by just remaining connected to the vine.  Permanently. Consistently.  They simply rest in their position, allowing the sap of the vine to flow freely through them.  There's no effort. The fruit is produced by the life-giving sap inside.
When you're completely connected to Christ, His Spirit flows through every part of you - your mind, your will, your emotions, your words, and your deeds.
The fruit that you then bear is produced by His Spirit in you.  It's not produced by any conscious effort of your own.
If you want to be fruitful, concentrate on your personal relationship with Jesus Christ!  Be filled with the Spirit.

It's so easy to be side tracked by the world we live in and the things that are going on around us...things that are happening in our lives.
I know for me, if I would just remain in Him and let Him direct and lead me, I would be so much better off.   I want to be more and more committed and daily remain in Him...making a conscience effort to focus my eyes and attention on Him - not on what is going on in my life!

 

2 comments:

Cara G said...

Love this Debbie...I too struggle with this (as I think so many do). Love this reminder...thanks for sharing with us!

Paula Jennings said...

this was a wonderful post Deb. I love the analogy of the vine...how we need to stay connected. That the branches only produce fruit when they remain attached to the vine. I like the translation you used too...'apart from me you can do nothing.' THAT is so true!