Wednesday, January 21, 2015

My Everyday Miracle--The Ugly Blanket

Hi! Cara here to share with you today. 
My friend Christa and I recently started a knitting group because quite a few homeless (the group our small group serves) women enjoy knitting or crocheting. We just started this group a few weeks ago and when we started we decided that we would make projects with a purpose...our first being blankets, hats, booties for babies and scarves and hats for moms to take to a Pregnancy Crisis Center in our area.

As we began, my friend read this scripture from Psalm 139: 13-16:
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

I love that she shared that before we even began and I love that God has a verse about knitting. :) Anyway, as everyone began choosing their projects and the yarn they would use, one of the women chose a neon green and neon orange yarn to start a blanket. One of the other women says to her "boy, I hope that baby is color-blind". Trying to ease over any hurt feelings, I said "yes, it will certainly be bright, but you know some people really like bright colors---I enjoy bright colors...I love scrapbooking with bright colors!".  Ok...hurt feelings averted, maybe?

Fast forward to a couple days ago...this same woman has texted my friend Christa saying she needs more yarn and has requested certain colors (colors that Christa and I agree will NOT go with neon orange and green...so Christa has also included some other brighter colors in the mix that would definitely match a little better). Christa calls me, says she is sick, but wonders if I could take it to her...and "my job" is to politely steer her toward these brighter colors (and not the pastels she has requested). So, this morning, I go and take it to her and ask to see her progress on the blanket. And OH MY.....there lies one of the ugliest blankets I've ever seen...neon orange and green, along with some funky textured white and a MAUVE/ROSE colored yarn. This display is a dismay to every color-theorist out there. BUT she is so proud of it. And says she'll just keep incorporating lots of different colors. I smile, think to myself that this blanket is beyond any "color rescue" and I leave behind the bag filled with pastels and brights not saying one word about color selection. Yes, this blanket is, unfortunately, going to get even uglier (I text Christa and tell her the bad news). 

As I get home and walk into my home I'm thinking to myself, "no one is going to like or appreciate that ugly blanket"...then God shoots me a zinger....I hear this "God whisper" saying "You were once an ugly blanket, but I loved you".

Wow...YES, I was. Though when I was born I was a God-made, beautiful, knit-together creation...time and sin allowed for the beauty to get stained, marred, charred and yes, even ugly. But when I accepted Christ, He washed me clean...back to that perfection and I stay that way in His eyes...not because I don't sin (oh, trust me, I do...we all do), but because when He sees me, He no longer sees the "ugly blanket", He sees Christ. 

(and, by the way, Christa and I have agreed to pray over that blanket when it's complete....that whoever receives it would not see it as a mish-mash of strange color combinations but would see the love this woman put into it and feel the sweet hugs she gives to so many)

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Wonderful post, Cara! I just might have to make an ugly blanket as a reminder! ;o) Thank you very much!

Karla Yungwirth said...

Lovely post! I'm sure this blanket means so much to the lady making it as well. Wonderful words to wake up to :) thanks!

Linda Harvey said...

What a blessing! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda Rhodes said...

Thanks for sharing! I had a woman buy a lot of baby clothes recently at TJ Maxx, where I work. I asked her if she needed a gift receipt since she didn't have a baby with her and she told me she was going to donate them to the local crisis pregnancy center. I think it is so nice to have agencies like that!

Bev Code said...

TFS.. awesome idea and thanks to the group of ladies...

DebR said...

This is so good...thanks for sharing it Cara.

Lisa H said...

I love this Cara! It is so true.

Paula Jennings said...

Cara this is a lovely post. I am in a knitting group too. How wonderful that you are doing it with your homeless population. I'm sure they greatly appreciate the friendship and time that is shared. My church houses a lunch program that serves the hungry and homeless. I work there 1 day a week. They are so appreciative of the hot meal and the time spent sharing stories with them or listening to them. One guy that I made friends with came to my church service Sunday and may come to bible study on Wednesday! It is truly a blessing. I have also found that many of the homeless I come into contact with really know their bible well and have a strong faith even if they aren't regulars at worship.

An'Jenic G. said...

Wow its amazing to see what God reveals to us. I kn someone will find beauty in the blanket.