Saturday, May 10, 2014

Heartfelt Inspiration with Cara

WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT

It was Teacher Appreciation week this past week, and as president of the PTO (Parent-Teacher Organization) at my daughter's elementary school I've been busy working with other PTO members to help our teachers and staff members (75 in all--we include everyone from teachers to janitors to and lunch ladies) feel loved and appreciated. We do different things all week--on Monday we bring in breakfast items, on Tuesday hand-written, personal thank you notes, on Wednesday a Mexican lunch buffet, on Thursday a small treat bag, and on Friday a day of sweet treats. So what do you think was the biggest "hit"? 

Believe it or not...the hand-written, personal thank you notes (I would have thought the lunch or the day of sweets)!! How do I know? Because I also work at the school part-time and almost everyone knows me, so many of them come up to me and tell me thank you...and I got so many of them who said "thank you for everything, especially that nice thank you note".  

There were about 8 of us from the PTO who wrote those 75 notes, and I tried to let the other members have the staff members on their list who they personally knew, so they could write more personalized, heartfelt notes. And the response was wonderful...one of the staff I wrote a thank you note to, came up to me and said "that note meant so much to me, I really needed to hear that today."  
Hmmm...just like Proverbs 16:24 says, "Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body."

And that got me to thinking about just how important it is to encourage and build up people in our lives. And how kind words can make a person's day or even change a person's day. And I'm not just talking about your husband or your children (which of course is really important too), but also the mailman, the woman who cashiers at your local grocery store, your local public librarian, the secretary at your child's school, etc, etc. You get the idea! Words are so powerful!! So I challenge you to make a positive difference this week with your words and go share with someone (or a couple someones:)) how much you appreciate them (you could even send a hand-made thank you card). 


Here are some other great bible verses about using the right words....

EPHESIANS 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.


1 THESSALONIANS 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.

JOB 4:4 Your words have upheld him who was stumbling, and you have made firm the feeble knees.



PROVERBS 25:11 A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver.







PROVERBS 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.





PROVERBS 15:23 To make an apt answer is a joy to a man, and a word in season, how good it is!



Here's a simple thank you card I created:
(nope, these were not the thank you notes that went out to the staff--those unfortunately were not hand-made, but they were HEARTFELT...and that's really all that matters:))

3 comments:

Robin said...

Thank you for sharing your story Cara! Such a great reminder on how important it is to so our appreciation to others! I often have good intentions but tend to get lost in the busyness of the day. The verses you added were perfect as well! Have a blessed day!

Nolene Burnett said...

Beautiful post, Cara. Thanks for sharing.

Paula Jennings said...

I'm sure the teachers appreciated it. I think as a whole teachers as a group do not get nearly the recognition or appreciation they deserve. Especially today when so many kids are out of control, rude and misbehave so much in school.