Thursday, May 15, 2014

Creating with UTEE, It's another Mixed Media Tutorial!


Hey everyone!

It's Christy today and I'm sharing and neat mixed media
technique where you can create your own 3D embellishments for your pages.
I'll be using some supplies which have been hiding in my craft closet for far too long.

I'm pulling out my melting pot, jar of UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel) and some Pearl Ex 
to create our embellishments.
In just a few minutes we'll have several pieces ready to be used.
The great thing about this technique is that you can change the mood by changing the Pearl EX and Ink colors.
Supplies:
Melting Pot
UTEE
Pearl Ex (and small scoop)
Versamark (or watermark ink)
Solvent Ink (ie Staz On) in a complimentary color to the Pearl Ex
Large background stamp
small cookie cutters (my set here is from Pampered Chef)

Add some of the UTEE to your melting pot.
Turn the pot on and watch as it begins to melt.


Take a SMALL scoop of the Pearl Ex and add it to the melting UTEE.
Using a heat proof spatula mix the Pearl Ex into the melted UTEE.


When the UTEE is nearly melted take your small cookie cutter and ink it up with the Versamark (watermark ink).
Make sure to rub some of the ink inside the shape as well. 
The clear ink is what will help the harden UTEE not stick to the cookie cutter.

Ink up your background stamp with the Solvent (Staz On) ink.
Here the ink does two things, aids in the release of the hardened shape as well as add a contrasting color/ pattern to our pieces.

Place the inked up cookie cutters onto the inked up stamp.

CAREFULLY
pour some of the melted UTEE into each mold.
1/8 to 1/4" deep is more than perfect.

Make sure the bottom of the mold is covered with the UTEE.
Wait several minutes for the UTEE to cool and harden.



Carefully pull the molds off the stamp and pop out your new embellishments.

See how the ink on the stamp adds to the overall design.

You could even put an inked up toothpick in as your pour your UTEE
to create a spot to thread a ribbon or fiber.

I hope you enjoyed todays tutorial.
Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

Nolene Burnett said...

Awesome tutorial, Christy! Thanks for sharing.

Lizzyc said...

Thats amazing, I have not really known what utee is until now.. thanks so much for sharing!

Cara G said...

Very cool Christy! Love your creativity with mixed media!

Kim said...

I love this!! I'm going to have to get a melting pot and some Pearl-Ex. I haven't used my UTEE in years!! Thanks, Christy!

Karen Letchworth said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing this. I really enjoyed making my card for this month's challenge. I created it with the word art from Word Art Wednesday, but it was specifically created for the SEM challenge based on the card sketch. Thanks for having me. I also want to wish you the best of luck finding some great new DT Members. I will pray that God leads just the right people here to apply.
Blessings
Karen
www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com