Monday, March 10, 2014

MORE MIXED MEDIA - THIS TIME WITH PAULA

Hi Everyone!  Paula here with a technique I just tried out called White Glue Resist.  The only part of it that is hard is having patience so I actually started it weeks ago and just completed it Sunday.  My creation is on an art journal page but you could adapt it to anything - a canvas, a layout etc.

My first step was to do what I always do with my journal which is to thoroughly coat my page with gesso to add strength so that it will hold up to all the different mediums.


The next thing I did was take a bottle of regular cheap white school glue and add a design to my page.  You can add words or anything you choose.


Now comes the patience part - you have to let the glue dry thoroughly.  I would suggest at least overnite to a full 24 hours.  As I said earlier mine sat for weeks.  

Next the fun part comes - 

I chose to use spray inks but you can use acrylic paints, watercolors, Distress inks, pretty much anything.  I don't usually use spray inks so this was a big deal for me.  


I kept adding more until the page was covered and I chose to blot them with paper towels.


I actually am pretty happy with it so far but I think it could use a bit of bright pink so I think I will add some acrylic paint.

All I did was take a bottle of Bright Magenta acrylic paint and shake it over the page to make blots and then I stood the book up so that it would drip.  Now of course it was time for more patience so that this too would dry.  I decided that it would be a good time to take a short nap.  


I think some metallic gold would be a good addition...let me go see what I can use to do that.  OK, I have a bottle of Metallic Gold acrylic paint too.  I don't want to splat this on though.  I think I will put a bit on a palette and take my fingers and spread some on the page.  I am generally into getting very messy when I work and my hands were still way too clean for being so close to the finish line.

In the photo it looks a bit more like bronze but I did use gold.  It seemed to soak into the other mediums and I had to keep adding more a few times to get it to show up.


I'd say the background is finally finished and now you can add whatever you want to on top.  I know that my Pitt pens will write on anything and I normally would add a quote or a scripture in my handwriting but I am thinking that with all the texture I achieved collaging something on would be my best finishing touch.

I decided to add this months scripture verse.  Psalm 126:2

I put the scripture into Word and printed it out.  I cut the lines apart, distressed the edges with my Distrezz It All and inked them with Picked Raspberry and Dusty Concord Distress Inks and added them to the page.  The white of the paper was too stark so I added Tea Stain Distress Ink to tone it down.

Now here is my finished page!


Now go get out your supplies and play!





7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Beautiful technique. thanks for the tutorial.

Elly P said...

Love the results you achieved!!..wow...am always a little scared of inks!...lol
hugs
Elly P
x x

Jessica said...

This is so pretty Paula, thanks for sharing!

Steve Finnell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linsey said...

I absolutely LOVE this! It's beautiful in every way :) TFS

Cara G said...

Love this Paula...so creative...I love all your glue swirls! Great job!!

Paula Jennings said...

thank you all so much for your sweet comments. So happy you enjoyed it!