Friday, February 7, 2014

Mixed Media Mania with Nolene Burnett


Hi, Nolene here with a little tutorial.
 I have created a layout with loads of texture and layers of different mediums.


The process is quite simple. Start with a sheet of plain light (preferably white) cardstock. Using a background stencil apply texture paste in a few random spots. Allow to dry.


Use 2 colours to mist the entire page. I used Mr. Huey's Sunset and Maya Mist Cotton Candy. Dab the misted ink with a paper towel to lift off excess so that the texture you created in the first step is still visible.
Remember to dry between all your layers. You may wish to use a heat tool to speed up drying time. Most of the time I prefer to air dry.


Use the same stencil as in the first step, along with some new ones, to bring back some of the white in your background.


Stamp some background stamps in random spots. I prefer black ink but you may use any colour(s). I used a crackle stamp by Great Impressions, as well as a script stamp and a roller doodle.


As you can see, everything I do is fairly random, a little messy and nowhere near perfect or exact. The point of each step is not to create an artwork on its own but a layer in the background that will only be partly visible and adding to the final product.



Tear up a page from an old book and randomly adhere pieces using Mod Podge.


Decide where your main clusters will be and adhere pieces of hessian (burlap) in these areas using a glue gun.



Start placing your elements. Use a chipboard element (e.g. an arch or frame) as a focal point to draw attention to your photograph. I chose a set of wings, which I covered with a white acrylic dauber and crackle paint.
Add your photograph. If you are adhering your elements as you go, adhere the photograph in the centre only in case you want to add more layers underneath.


Now add the rest of your embellishments. Use ribbon for texture and mix up your flowers (design, material, colour, etc.)  for visual interest.



The final product is a feast of colour and texture!


If you find this tutorial useful, please share your creations with us. We would love to see them!
--Nolene--

****We hope your visit our February challenges post and enter by clicking here!****

3 comments:

Cara G said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Nolene--thanks for sharing your talents with us!!

Paula Jennings said...

wow Nolene what awesome textures you've used. I have done some of that but you have done much more than I've ever tried. I am going to have to give your techniques a shot! Gorgeous layout. Oh, and I don't normally do a lot of mixed media on layouts...I usually reserve that for my art journal. I will have to give it a shot on a layout!

Roberta: Mother of 3 said...

Lovely project, indeed! I especially like all of the pink!! :)