Wednesday, November 13, 2013

New Identity

I don’t know how many times I have read this Ephesians 1:1-14, or heard someone preached about it, or I shared about it to others at a small group meetings, but this week God showed more deeper understanding of who I am, who we are in Christ Jesus when we trust in Him and follow Him.
One word that pop up to me every time I read this passage every day is PREDESTINE, in another word decided in advance.
he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will (Ephesians 1:5, ESV)
God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure. (Ephasians 1:5, NLT)
God has predestined us to be His children! Isn’t that an amazing truth to know that He has in planned since the beginning to make us His children, be part of His family? That’s the truth I wanna know and remember forever.
Knowing that God decided to choose me to be his child secures me. That truth gives me freedom. He is my Father! What could be more amazing than having the Best Dad ever, the One who has the power over everything, the One who controls everything?
He renew our lives. Through Jesus, His only Son, he forgave us, redeemed us and gave us new life in Jesus. We have new identity in Christ.
We are who we are in Christ now because of God’s grace and will. We are not who we were in the past or what people say about us. For a long time, I lived believing who I was under certain circumstances and what people told me who I was. I often asked my friends this question, “who do you think I am? what do you think I can do?” That because I didn’t have Jesus and the truth. That because I didn’t have self-image and didn’t feel secure. I lived to only make people to like me. That was temporary.
When I read this passage on my NLT Life Application Bible Study, these truths reveals who we are in Christ when we come to believe and trust in Him:
  • We are blessed with every spiritual blessings from heaven (Ephesians 1:3).
  • We are holy and found without fault (Ephesians 1:4).
  • We are adopted as God’s children (Ephesians 1:5,6).
  • We are redeemed and forgiven from our sins (Ephesians 1:7).
  • We are brought under Christ’s authority. He controls everything. (Ephesians 1:10,11)
  • We are identified as belonging to God by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13).
Ephesians1-1-14
I hope today, God will show you more of Him and give you wisdom to understand who you are in Him. I pray and ask God to continue enlighten your hearts and mine with His Holy Spirit as we read and search His word.

5 comments:

DebR said...

Wonderful, powerful message. Thank you.

Pam said...

Hello Ladies,

I wanted to thank you all so much for the cards you sent in support of my organization. I really appreciate it!
Pam, owner Cards for Soldiers :)

Helen Gullett said...

Praise God for His powerful word, Deb! God bless you!

Helen Gullett said...

We are thankful, Pam! Praying God will bless the soldiers and their family. God bless your ministry, too!

Nancy said...

I'm not sure how I missed this one! It's a truly beautiful post, Helen! This is a subject that is very dear to me as I was adopted as an infant, and then adopted into God's family at a very young age. I have been blessed to have had an early understanding of just what a gift our predestination is, and how it changes our view of every day life! Thank you! :o)