Thursday, August 22, 2013

Technique Tutorial-DIY Enamel Dots

Cara here bringing you this month's Technique Tutorial.

Don't you just love enamel dots...like those by My Mind's Eye....like this?

I've used them so much on recent layouts that I'm almost out of them (I think I had 3 packs of different color combos). But they're kinda expensive, so I haven't replenished my supply yet...luckily! Because then I came across a "Pin" on Pinterest about making your own enamel dots from inexpensive "pony" beads, the ones like this...

Well, it just so happens that my 7 year old daughter has a ton of these...YAY! And you can get them at Walmart, craft stores, lots of places for cheap!

So, here's what you do...
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and put the beads on some wax paper on a cookie sheet. Bake them till they become smooth puddles (about 15 minutes).
*A word of warning-they do smell as they melt and create a bit of smoke, so you'll want to have a fan handy to extract!

Here's an example of the finished product...

Just use glue dots on the back to adhere them to your projects.

AND...if you want smaller enamel dots, just use "melty" beads (again, found easily at Walmart or craft stores)...the ones that look like this.

Now...go have fun creating!

7 comments:

Mandi said...

I did this a month ago. I need to do it again since I am running low.
p.s. I do mine in a toaster oven outside so I don't have to worry about the smell.

Lisa H said...

Wow, this is a cool tip! And I like your idea Mandi.

Tracey Sabella said...

What a fabulous idea!! Thanks for sharing!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Garden of Grace

Helen Gullett said...

This is so cool! I really wanna try it :D Thansk for sharing, Cara!!!

Anonymous said...

I have some questions on this technique.
First do you lay the beads with the hole facing upwards on the wax paper (to prevent rolling)?
Second, Have you ever tried the mico-wave?
Thrid, approx what size is the finished dot?

Anonymous said...

I just did this. I used a toaster oven on my patio. Very smokey and smelly. I found that cooking less than 10 minutes is best. The size depends on how long you cook them. The longer that you cook them the bigger and flatter they will be. I put them hole up and the hole just disappears.

Anonymous said...

This works so well I never have to buy enamel dots again