Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mixed media Thursday...Can you Resist it?


Hey there, it's Christy back with another Mixed Media technique to share with you.

Now this one comes from trying something, it not working out, but instead of tossing continuing to play.
As a result...I have this super easy fun resist technique I want to share.
You can use this on a layout, card, tag, even in an art journal.

First: what you need.
Piece of very lightly patterned paper (I'm using Prima)
Stencil (Crafter's Workshop)
Dark mist (I'm using Burnt Umber by Lindy's Stamp Gang)
and a small mist bottle filled with 50% water & 50% white acrylic paint (NOT GESSO)

Put the stencil on top of the paper, shake up the water/ paint mix and mist through the stencil.

See...you can tell by the paint on the stencil I misted it. Don't panic, you probably won't see it on the paper.

Lift off the stencil & clean it up if you want (I usually don't ;) ).
Dry you paper with a heat gun or let it air dry.
Told you, you probably won't see the paint on your paper.
Relax...it all will work out.

Take your dark mist.
Heavily mist over where you previously sprayed the paint through the stencil.
I like to mist heavy because I love the drips I get as well.
They make me happy.
Watch as the magic happens.

The paint is going to resist the mist giving you a really neat background to work on.
How cool is this.
Just a reminder that when you think all is lost keep on going, something wonderful might just happen.

Just a shot from an another angle to really show the resist.

and here is a layout I did using the paper.
The photo is of the sun as it sets on the Rhine River.
We were at the top of the Dusseldorf Radio Tower in Dusseldorf, Germany.
As the sun set it bathed everything in a golden light.
It was truly breathtaking.

I hope you all try this easy technique.
I'd love to see what you do with it.
As always, any questions I'm here to answer them.

Have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

Scrapper Myra said...

Love it. I must try it. Tks for sharing.

Cara G said...

Wow...what an amazing resist technique--the end result is fabulous Christy! Love your Rhine River photo too.

Lisa H said...

I love this technique! I'm going to try it!

Tracey Sabella said...

Fabulous technique, Christy!! Thanks for sharing!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

Roberta: Mother of 3 said...

oooh - this looks fun! I love to use the "negatives" of die cut images/patterns! Love your examples!

Tracey Gregory said...

I am definitely going to try this! How fun!

Susan Strawser said...

Very cool. thanks for sharing