Monday, May 27, 2013

Praise Post...

Hi there, it's Christy and it's my turn for a praise post.

Today I want to share with you an experience I had last summer as the family flew to Italy.
We are huge travelers. My girls are lucky that in their lives they have already be to 12 countries.
That being said I HATE TO FLY, I mean I really really really hate it.
Days before we are to leave I start getting anxious, it's all I can think about.
I stop sleeping, and I worry all the time.
Usually from the moment we take off until we touch down I have the armrest in a death grip. The rest of the family is sound asleep but not me.

Anyway for my eldest daughter's graduation present last year we all went to Italy.
We were traveling to Rome and the Vatican City. The holiest of holiest places we could visit.
The flight was to be a bit shorter than some of the others we had taken but as we boarded the plane they were already warning us of strong turbulence we would have to fly through.



The family settled in, we ate dinner and promptly everyone (BUT ME) fell asleep, the plan was to hit the ground running once we got there. 
We needed to rest up.
We got up by Nova Scotia and it started.
First some ups and downs, then side to side.
I have my chair in a death grip (my husband is snoring away).
Then it really started rocking and rolling. Flight attendants told to buckle up, by now even the heaviest of sleepers are awake.
I seriously wanted to start screaming out loud.

My at the time 5 year old grabbed my hand and we began to pray....
I always tell my girls that even when I am not there watching them that the Angels are.
We read from 

                                                                    Psalm 91:11

                        For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.



A calm came over me.
I realized that we are being watched and guided. God was with us even as we rode up and down.

Eventually the turbulence ended as the sun rose over Europe.
We looked out the windows onto Italy wondering at the beauty of what we saw, and the presence of God was all around us.
He guided us safely through the night.


Our first night we rode into Vatican City and looked up St. Peter's Basilica. To the right we saw the Pope's chambers, the windows lit up indicating her was home.
We said a prayer of gratitude at the fence.

The next morning we went back to Vatican City and actually entered the Basilica.
It was truly awe inspiring. You could feel the power of prayer going all around you.
An all encompassing sense of Peace flowed over.

The turbulence was meant to remind that even in troubled times God is with us.
Letting go and allowing Him to take the lead, even in scary times when you feel out of control.

He is there, He is watching, AND He is always with you.

4 comments:

Tracey Sabella said...

What a great reminder Christy, that our Lord is always in control and we can rest in Him. ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Cara G said...

Great post about God being in control even when we feel out of control! Thanks for sharing with us Christy!

Tracey Gregory said...

Oh, Christy-you made me tear up. What a powerful story of faith!

Cindy Keogh said...

Beautifully written! Reminds me of the flight that was on its way to Fatima, Portugal. It was running low on fuel and through prayer the flight landed safely!