Thursday, April 18, 2013

Technique/Tutorial

It's Tracey S. here to share a tutorial with you. Often I need an embellishment to go on my page and want something that will coordinate with the colors, photo, and other elements I have selected. One of my go to embellies is the butterfly. I have several ways of making them, and this one is quite easy to put together with items most of us have on hand. 

While Scripture doesn't really talk about butterflies, the principle of a transformed life is present throughout. When I think of a butterfly, I often reflect on the amazing transformation from homely caterpillar to gorgeous delicate butterfly. Our Savior has the power to transform us into something beautiful when we allow Him to guide and direct our lives. That is one of the reasons I enjoy using butterflies so much. 

Stickled Butterfly Tutorial

Supplies: 


Supply List:
~ Sizzix Big Shot or other die cut machine (Not pictured) or 
~ Scrap of paper 
~ Donna Salazar Wonderful Wings Spellbinder die. You could also use a different die, a punch or electronic cutting machine image.
~ Clear Rock Candy Stickles or other clear based glitter glue
~ 2 pieces of covered wire 
~ Self-adhesive pearls 
~ Selection of inks in the colors of your choice. For this butterfly, I used Ranger Distress Ink in Scattered Straw, Tea Dye, Rusty Hinge, and Vintage Photo. Not pictured - I also used black soot to color the green wire for the antennae
~ Adhesive - I used glossy accents (Not pictured)

Step 1. Cut butterfly from paper scrap. You could used a die, punch, or electronic cutting machine. 


Step 2. Color butterfly with inks. Start with the lightest color across the entire butterfly and then add the next darker color staying closer to the edge of the wings each time so you get a ombre effect from the body to the tip of the wings.

Scattered Straw

Plus Tea Dye

Plus Rusty Hinge

Plus Vintage Photo

Step 3. Squeeze Clear Rock Candy Distress Stickles generously on the entire butterfly and spread out with your finger or a paintbrush. I like the glass glitter in the Distress Stickles; however, you could use any kind of clear based glitter glue.


Step 4. Allow to dry. I let mine sit overnight. You can use a heat tool with distress stickles since the glitter is glass; however, I find that the medium the glitter is suspended in tends to bubble when heated, and I prefer to air dry for this technique. Do NOT use a heat tool on regular Stickles or other glitter glues since most of them contain foil glitter that can catch on fire if heated. 


Step 5. Color the wire pieces with ink in the color of your choice. Curl the ends of the wire. I used round nosed pliers, but you could wrap the end of the wire around a toothpick. Glue the wires to the back of your butterfly. I use glossy accents as my adhesive. This wire was snipped off of some flowers I had used. I also have a couple spools of covered wire from the floral department that I keep around for antennae.


Step 6. Place self-adhesive pearls down the center of the body. They could vary in size as on this butterfly or be all the same size like my sample in the first photo.


Step 7. These butterflies are quite flexible and you can fold up the wings and gently curl them to add graceful dimension as seen in the close-up on my card.


You can change up these sweet sparkly butterflies to coordinate with your project by using different ink colors as well as altering the size or shape of your butterfly. The sky is the limit. 

Here is a photo of the butterfly on a birthday card I created for a friend. 

I hope you give these butterflies a try!! 

10 comments:

Cara G said...

So gorgeous...love the step-by-step Tracey! Thanks so much for sharing with us!!

Tracey Gregory said...

Sweet and you explained it so well.thanks for sharing this!

Helen Gullett said...

I need to try it :D Thank you Tracey for the steps!

blsd2scrp said...

love this! thanks for sharing!

Christy Butters said...

This is beautiful!

Pam said...

Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing the technique

Susan Strawser said...

beautiful!!

Lisa H said...

Pretty! I love butterflies too.

Marfa Otano said...

Hi Tracey, I have to say that I love your butterfly. It is beautiful! I can definitely see all the work that you put into it.

caroleanne said...

I love butterflies on my layouts and always struggle with ways to make them I love this tutorial, do you have any more butterfly tuts?