Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hey there...It's Christy and it's time for some mixed media fun

Hey all!
My name is Christy and I am one of the new additions to the SEM team.
My specialty is mixed media. 
Every month I'll be sharing a new creations, lots of tips and techniques, and hopefully tons of inspiration for you.

As well as this monthly mixed media post, my creations for the monthly challenges will also incorporate mixed media techniques.
Now before you walk away, shaking your head saying "Mixed media...not for me. You need special stuff and I'm not buying anything new" let me tell you that almost all of the techniques I use require nothing more than scrapbook supplies. 
I believe in using what I have and making it work for what I need.

and if you EVER have questions about anything I do, supplies I use, possible substitutions etc; ...PLEASE ASK!
I am always more than willing to share what I know

Now, on to today's piece.
For my very first mixed media post I decided to go with an art journal page.
My art journals tend to be a way of showing my favorite quotes and verses. 
I use them as places to try new techniques and play with my favorites.

I am using the supplies below (note again ALL scrapbook supplies) for today's piece.

Distress ink, Mists( Tattered Angels & Lindy's Stamp Gang), Black ink(Prima & Tsukineko),  Kaisercraft stamps, book text & Butterfly stickers (not pictured Gesso & Stencil Girl stencil)
   You may have all these items already in your stash.
  One thing I love using in my art is book text. I buy lots of used books from the library and tear pages out as I need them.

  Here I tore several pages into pieces, inked the edges with black ink and covered a page in my art journal with them, using a glue stick. Once it was dry I trimmed the edges even with my page, and then rubbed the whole page with distress ink to blend it all together.

I misted the page with my 3 colors of mists, drying between each color so as not to get mud. I also scraped Gesso (or white paint) through a stencil in random spots to give texture to my background.

Finally I stamped along the edges using Black ink, added some butterfly stickers and my quote using tiny alphabet stickers.
I outlined the quote with a charcoal pencil and smudged it with my finger to blend it in.

Here are a few closeups of the page.

Note-when I scraped the Gesso through the stencil it reactivated the mists pulling some of the color into it as it dried, making it blend subtly into the page.



  There you have it...a mixed media art journal page;  using scrapbook supplies.

  I hope that you find some inspiration here, and like I said any questions....PLEASE ASK.
I am here to help you.

  Have a wonderful day.

6 comments:

Marjolaine said...

Beautiful page Christy, thanks for sharing the steps!

Cara G said...

Great project Christy. I've never made mixed media stuff before...but I love seeing the process...looks enticing:).

Sandie Edwards said...

Love it!!!! It is wonderful to use already at hand products... very encouraging!!!

Tracey Gregory said...

Love,love,love the text background and how everything is so beautifully blended! Gorgeous!

Lizzyc said...

Thank you for sharing this.. some mixed media pieces are soooo layered and detailed I just think I cannot do that.. but you have created a beautiful piece and I really think I may just be able to try that!! Thanks!!

Lisa H said...

very cool Christy!