Friday, March 15, 2013

Our Daily Bread

Hi it is Nicole and I wanted to share a short story that my mother wrote... She actually got it published too in a writers conference book.  It is about a true miracle our family experienced while I was a kid!   I am really excited to share it with you!

The front door burst open and banged against the entry wall.  "Mom, do you want bread?"
"What?"
Out of breath, Nate asked me again, "Mom, do you want bread?"
"Okay, I guess." Before I finished the sentence, he waved his arms, signaling to someone to come in.  Neighborhood kids ran into my house carrying armloads of bread.  Laughing and giggling, one by one they dropped familiar loaves and rolls of plastic wrapped bread and ran out for more.  Surprised, I stared at a four foot high pile of various types of bread on my kitchen floor.  I had no idea where this bread came from.
"Stop!  You have to stop.  That's enough.  Nate tell the kids, no more."
My daughters ran in the house to wee what was going on "Where did all this bread come from?" Nicole asked.
"I don't know.  Where did your brother go?"
Nate ran back in
"Mom, Mom are you happy? Are you?"
Where did you get the bread?"
"There's a guy up the street with a bread truck.  He asked if anybody wanted his leftover bread.  I told him you did, so the kids carried it down the street to our house."
The appearance of that much bread was unusual, but what happened before made it more amazing.  My children were home from school and outside playing.  I sat on the old couch talking to God, feeling discouraged.
A year after my divorce, I was overwhelmed, responsible for meeting all the needs of my young children.  Where was God? I wondered if things would ever get better?  My business was barely surviving.  Many days I struggled to buy groceries to feed a family of four.
"God, I feel like You have forsaken me.  I work hard Lord, but the food is running short.  I know Your Word says You will give us our daily bread, but I don't see it."
I had barely finished my sentence when my son blasted through the front door.  Now, I had white bread, French bread, wheat bread, rolls hamburger buns and hot dog buns.  I had bread in the refrigerator and on top of the refrigerator.  I had bread in the freezer, bread in the refrigerator, in the pantry, on the counters.  we gave bread to the neighbors.  I gave bread to my friends.  That night after the kids were in bed, I marveled at the goodness of God.  "Yes Lord, thank You for the bread, but did you have to take me so literally?"
Twenty years later, this experience still fills me with wonder at the extent the Lord will go to teach us about His faithfulness. I remember God's provision and abundance at a time when my faith waned with the heaviness of responsibility.  The Lord prepared me for the future.  Daily, He is transforming me from an abused wife and mother toward a strong woman of faith.
I didn't know my family would face homelessness, a prodigal child, drug addictions, rehab and mental illnesses.  god was growing my faith so I could endure, so I could believe in the power of His healing grace and provision.
The bread at communion symbolizes His body given for our sins and for our healing.  He gives us everything we need for this day and is transforming us for the next.  Thank you, Lord for giving us our daily bread.

8 comments:

PaulaJ said...

what an absolutely wonderful post! I love it!

Marjolaine said...

Amazing story, so encouraging! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Sherri said...

Oh my goodness, I feel super blessed just to have read this story. What an amazingly, tangible, real life example of God's faithfulness in your family's life. Overwhelming to think that his provision is the same for me, today, just as much as it was many years ago for your mother. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully touching story with all of us Nicole.

Tracey Gregory said...

Wow! I have tears in my eyes as I type this,Nic! Just amazing and faith-affirming. I love that our God has a sense of humor as well!

Linda Trzos said...

Wonderful story. :) God is so good, and DOES have a sense of humor!!!!

blsd2scrp said...

a truly awesome story! wow! this was a much needed remind of how faithful God is! thank you for sharing!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

What a amazing story! Thanks so much for sharing this!!! xo

Cara G said...

What a beautiful story of God's faithfulness & provision Nic...thanks so much for sharing it with us!