Thursday, December 20, 2012

Technique Tutorial: Some Punch-y Inspiration!!

Cara here to share some fun techniques all created with punches. As our Sketch Challenge (brought to you by Sherri) this month wants you to incorporate a punch in some way, I thought I'd share some (hopefully) new ideas to spark your creativity!! (many of these ideas I got from Pinterest or blogs I follow)

I created TWELVE tags to showcase the techniques that you can easily apply to your projects...

1) Make some little mini tags out of a border punch (I also used this same border punch along the bottom of the tag).
2) Make clouds out of a small circle punch (see photos below for specifics).

To create the clouds:
First I punched out a cloud pattern with the 1/2" circle punch--you will also need to use some smaller detail scissors to cut into the paper a bit in order to be able to use the circle punch correctly.

Second, I lined the back with white cardstock. Then used foam tape to mount onto my base tag.

These were the punches I used:
*1/2 inch circle punch

3) Punch out snowflakes (or stars or hearts) on a piece of paper, then use foam tape to layer this piece over small pieces of contrasting patterned paper...you can even add bling to create more dimension.
4) Use alphabet punches to punch out a word (I cheated & used my Cricut here), then use foam tape to layer this piece over a contrasting patterned paper.

This was the punch I used for the snowflake tag:

5) Create trees with circle punches and add trunk and branches with a fine-tipped marker. Create grass with a bracket border punch.
6) Create a layered border punch background. I used the bracket border punch here...but any border punch would work (the lace edge ones look really great too!).

These were the punches I used:
*1.25" circle punch
*1" sunburst circle punch

7) Create a layered, scalloped background using a circle punch.
8) Make an umbrella with a circle punch and some scallop-edge scissors.

These were the punches (and scissors) I used:
*1" circle punch (for scalloped border)
*2" circle punch (for umbrella)

9) Create quilted stars by using a star punch and patterned paper scraps.
10) Create a 3-D circle shadow box effect using a circle punch on a piece of paper, then use foam tape to layer this piece over small pieces of contrasting patterned paper. I made confetti with a mini hole punch...stamped a saying (if using on a layout, you could also journal here)...and used a punched star...all to create my shadow box effect. 

These were the punches I used:
**1.25" circle punch

11) Create a 3-D circle rim by first punching out a larger circle, then carefully lining up a smaller circle punch inside to punch out the middle. I then created a sun by cutting out strips of coordinating yellow & orange patterned paper.
12) Create an owl using an index tab punch (for the head),  a scalloped circle punch (for the body & wings), 2 small circle punches (for the eyes)--I used a 1/2" circle punch & a regular hole punch (the old-school squeeze type from office supply store), and a small flower punch (for the feet). 

These were the punches I used for the circle rim on the Sunshine tag:
*1.5" circle punch
*1.75" circle punch

These were the punches I used on the Owl tag:
*1.75" scalloped circle punch
*1/2 inch circle punch

Hope you enjoyed these fun techniques...
Happy Punching!!!

10 comments:

PaulaJ said...

GREAT TAGS!

Kelly said...

Such great inspiration using punches! I have done this in the past but would love to do some more - they are sooooo cute! :)

Marjolaine said...

Wow Cara, amazing tutorial, thanks for all the great ideas!

blsd2scrp said...

too cute!! I love these tags! awesome ideas! I can't wait to try them out!!!!

Susan said...

Your tags are absolutely adorable. Love them - thanks for sharing!

Scrapper Myra said...

Beautiful tags. TFS

Sherri said...

Great job Cara. Clever ideas for sure, and your tags are all adorable. I especially live the star one.

Lisa H said...

These are all super cute Cara! I love my punches - I think I used the border ones and my circle ones the most.

Tracey Gregory said...

Wow! These are great-I think I love the little stars the best! So many ideas-thanks!

Roberta: Mother of 3 said...

Cara, these are just gorgeous and outstanding! I have a bunch of punches that it seems I have forgotten how to use! This tutorial has resparked my interest in getting those out and applying these techniques!!! Thank you!