Thursday, October 18, 2012

How To Make A Pie Chart

Hi everyone, Sherri here.  I recently tried this new technique, and am excited to be sharing it with you today.  I'm going to show you a quick and easy way to make a pie chart.  For use as a quick and easy embellishment on your layouts.  It's my understanding that if you have a Silhouette Cameo this technique can be done even quicker.  If, like me you don't have one to speed things up, this way will work just fine too.

I knew I wanted to have several charts in different sizes, so I pulled out my trusty old Creating Memories circle cutting system, and a scrap piece of 12x12 packaging.
 Using plates or bowls, or jar bases, or anything of the like will work perfectly also.
After I had all my circles cut out I divided them up like pieces of a pie (hence the name, go figure).

Using a ruler find the center point on your circle draw a line from one side to the other.  Rotate the circle, and do the same thing on the reverse side so you have a big "+" sign smack dab in the middle reaching from side to side.  Once yo have the "+" continue dividing up the circle leaving about one inch or so in between lines.  Your circles should now look like this.
Notice I made one pie chart off centered
Once you have all your pie charts divided up, it's important to number each sliver of the pie from #1 up.  This will help greatly in the re-assmebly.
 
Here, because I have so many sizes I used a system to remeber which slice went with which pie.  The largest circle is numbered 1lg (large) to 8lg.  The medium is number 1 med to 6 med, etc.  Now, because I used an extra piece of packaging which is sturdier than regular card stock, I have several templates to reuse at a later time.  Recycled cereal boxes, and the like would work excellently also.

Now all you need to do is trace the pie pieces onto patterned paper, and reassemble the pie chart.
At this point you can simply reassemble the pie chart directly onto your layout if you wish.  Because I knew I wanted to stitch on mine, I needed to reassemble it onto a scrap piece of cardstock.

Once I had them all reassembled I used my sewing machine to stitch a zig-zag pattern in between each of the pieces.

And here is the layout I came up with using my freshly made pie charts, and a cute quote I discovered on Pinterest.


I told you it was easy.  I hope you've been inspired to give something new a try.  Be sure to link us up if you give this technique a shot.  We'd love to come by and have a peek.

Happy Creating friends!

8 comments:

Modern Day Disciple said...

I love this AND I have those CM tools! How sweet!

Christy Butters said...

oh this is very cool! Thanks for sharing it.

Tracey Gregory said...

love this! I still have my cm circles,too!

PaulaJ said...

very cute! love how you used them!

Cara G said...

This is such an awesome page & great idea Sherri...thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Lisa H said...

great page and technique! I have that CM circle cutter too, lol.

Patricia Folchert said...

Really love your layout and tutorial! Especially love the Jillibean Soup paper you used! I did a pie chart card this week on my blog, so much fun.

SilkySecrets Blog said...

Well hello there! In this blog post did you use the data from any extra researches or here are solely your own reflections? Can't wait to hear from you.