Monday, October 8, 2012

GD Inspiration Post - October - Toni Herron

Good Morning and G'Day from Australia SEM lovers.
It's Toni here, taking up this amazing opportunity to be your Guest Designer for October.  I hope you will all find something inspirational with my LO's!

First of all, a little off topic, but Congratulations to the SEM team for the great and successful Blog Hop and Congratulations to all the winners! I'm sure you'll all love your prizes!

Ok, now on to the October main challenge.  
 *Focus on FALL.
with the twist to add paint.
To be honest I was super thrilled when asked to be your GD for October, but when I received the Challenge theme, I was terrified. In Australia we don't celebrate Fall (to us it's called AUTUMN!).
We don't have Thanks Giving and most don't celebrate Halloween, (which is in Spring here, so wouldn't fit anyway)..
So this got me thinking outside the box. And the further I went, the more excited and up for this challenge I was!
In Autumn the only thing that popped out to me that we as a nation celebrate is ANZAC day. 
 *Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.
This is actually a national public holiday for respect to those once serviced in our Aust Army and those currently active.

Below I have created my main LO with my Gran in mind. However, unfortunately I haven't been able to get my hands on the correct photo I wanted for this LO, so it still sits naked of a photo. I apologise! The heart peeking out under the tag is my paint twist for this challenge.


I also made a few more LO's celebrating not only Australian Heroes but a couple from Ireland too.



First up is my MiL's Dad.. Chief Petty Officer Victor Sutcliffe serviced on board the HMAS Voyager during the Koren War for the Royal Australian Navy.






These LO's are for my FiL, both of his parents served in the Nothern Ireland Military Army Services during WW2.

Jack was a worker in the Aircraft factory in Belfast.
And as mentioned on Norah's LO, there were 38,000 enlisted personal when the war finished. These were all Volunteer positions, unlike the rest of the UK.
The Republic of Ireland had declared themselves as a
"Neutral Country".

I found alot of inspiration with the challenge reading also with these LO's.. Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." 

As I was creating these LO's, I had just lost my grandmother. My Nan was a special and true lady in every sense of the meaning! Making these LO's gave me a little bit to concentrate on and helped me to feel a little closer to God in this tough time. Although we prayed for God to set Nan free and take her home with him to join the rest of our Heavenly family, its still very hard to not be a little bitter when he finally did. It helped to ease me though taking alot of reassurance knowing that Heaven gained the most beautiful Angel and that I am truly thankful to the Lord for allowing me and the rest of the world for having her in our lives as long as we did!
These ANZAC themed pages were a great opportunity for me to get to know and respect the contributions that my Husband's Grandparents gave to their countries in time of War, even though I have not had the chance to meet them. And I believe that God will help bring our current soldiers home very soon when own country's contribution is complete.
Well thats it from me for now. I thank you very much for sticking with me through that long post!
For more information and details (including close up pics) of these LO's feel free to drop by my own blog.
http://toniherron.aussieblogs.com.au/
Thank you again to the amazing Scrapping Everyday Miracles team for this great opportunity!
I can't wait to see what your creations are for this challenge and will see you again soon.. Toni.. xoxo

6 comments:

Marjolaine said...

I love how creative you were with the challenge and your story is beautiful.

PaulaJ said...

awesome layouts. What wonderful tribute pages!

Susan said...

Toni, these are absolutely beautiful pages. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Tracey Gregory said...

Very touching post and your pages are so poignant. Thank you for sharing them with us!

Lisa H said...

Thank you for sharing your layouts with us Toni and teaching us about a holiday celebrated by your country. =)

Cara G said...

Love your work Toni...thanks so much for being our Guest Designer this month at SEM!