Monday, June 11, 2012

Sisters - Heartfelt Inspiration

Hi Dolores here, so excited to be bringing you my heart today. I say my heart because this is what Christ is restoring within me. Sometimes we don't understand the journey of our walk with God, but He has always had a plan and a purpose. (Jeremiah 29:11) I want to share with you how God has restored, and renewed my relationship with my sister. So I begin by sharing just a little of my past so that you can understand my heart today.
As a child I lived in an abusive home, my father beat my mother almost everyday and well me and my sister Millie were not to far behind on that list. This hurts me to say, but my stepfather made my sister and I enemies. He would literally put boxing gloves on us and make us fight each other and we would cry because we didn't want to and he would threaten us with a belt which he used on more than one occasion. It was not until this April that my sister and I finally spoke about that and she said to me "You know our parents hated each other so much that they made sure we didn't love each other" Wow I never looked at it that way. For years I felt as though she was the favorite, because of her dark hair and brown skin she was always called La India, which meant the Indian and I was blonde and light skin and I was called La Rubia which meant the Blonde one. It was always the Indian in my eyes who got the most compliments. She then told me she always wished she was blonde because everyone loved me more. We were little girls that lacked love, and we were not taught to love each other. As the years went by we would talk, but really is was small talk never really had a sister bond, until this year.
Which brings me to my heart today, I thank God for rebuilding, this relationship. In the past year I rededicated my life to the Lord and guess what? A few months after so did my sister, and that is when God began the work not only in my life, but also in hers. He began to break the chains that were binding our hearts, and we were able to let go of the hurt and really talk, share our feelings and can I say that it took over 40 years but I can say that I have never loved, respected and really appreciate my sister the way I do today. God is so Good that He was able to touch my heart, so that I can LOVE Her as a sister should. We don't share the same paternal father, but OH MY GOD we share an even powerful FATHER (God). A faithful ONE, the One who knew that this day would come and I can say I love you SIS, and really mean it.
I created this layout to show how awesome God is, the photo was taken on Mother's day, during an altar call, and one of the sisters in the church who knew of our struggles said it was "a lovely moment". It truly was, thank you Lord for my Sister.
I hope that sharing my heart and how God has been able to restore it, has blessed you. Remember that our God is a Faithful God, an on time God and if you are struggling right now with similar issues know that He is a mighty God, He has it in His hands and He will turn it around. I pray that you are continued to be blessed, and encouraged through Scrapping Everyday Miracles, because this has truly been a miracle to me. Isaiah 33:2 "O LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress."

13 comments:

Svetlana Austin said...

thank you, Dolores! ♥ it is truly beautiful what God did in your lives! He is soooo wonderful!

Merrick Dunphy said...

What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

Cara G said...

What a beautiful story of reconciliation...and what a beautiful layout too Dolores. Thanks for sharing your heart!

Jojorenee said...

God is so beyond our wonders! It's a wonderful gift of the new he has given you too because HE is LOVE!
TFS

Susan said...

Blessings to you. the relationship between sisters is so special, I'm so glad you have been reunited with yours. Your layout is very pretty.

Sharon said...

Hi Delores, Thank you for sharing the beautiful story of how our Awesome God worked in two precious lives of family. God is so faithful when we totally trust Him. We can hold onto all His promises and He promises to restore a new life within us through Jesus. I can not imagine ever again a day without Him. Many Blessing to you and your sister. Your layout is beautiful.

Sherri said...

The Almighty healer has been good to you, to both of you! Thank you so much for opening your heart up to us Delores, I have no doubt the Holy Spirit will go on to minister to others through your words. All praise, and glory, and honour be His.

Scrapper Myra said...

Tks for sharing your wonderful story Dolores. I think you have been blessed with a sister to love in the time God decided. Your layout is great to have a memory of that sisterly love.

melissac said...

Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us that we have a good and faithful Lord!! Hugs!!

Jeannine said...

Dolores, oh my word, this is most definitely a heartfelt post! What an incredible story to show how faithful our God is and reminding all of us need to keep having faith in Him no matter how bad a situation may seem to us. I was brought to tears reading your post and I'm rejoicing with you in being reunited with your sister in a way you may never have thot possible. What a treasure for your friend at church to take a picture of the two of you that day so you could create this stunning page of that precious moment. Seriously, this post has given me hope about things going on in my own life. Thank you so much for sharing it.

kate blue said...

Amen to that...and a testimony that it is never too late to mend relationships....ah, the misunderstandings that we all have. Thank you for being brave enough to share with the world. Not all pasts are sweet and rosy and it takes bravery to reveal it.

Lisa H said...

Dolores, thank you for sharing your story with us. I am so thankful that God has been doing this work in your lives. What a blessing!

Marjolaine said...

Dolores, I'm so happy to have found you here. What a beautiful story and what a blessing you are to me!