Monday, April 9, 2012

Remember - Heartfelt Post

Hi friends!  This is Elizabeth here again :)  I'm a planner and when I saw a few weeks back that I was responsible for today's post I began praying and thinking about what I would write.  I recently was at a woman's conference where the speaker was teaching on wisdom and expressed the importance of being in the Word of God, letting it sink deep into your heart, because we read in the Bible that out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.  Being moved by this I poured myself into reading and praying - what should I share with you all today?  One word kept jumping out at me "remember".



I used to think that I had a great memory until I started looking for my sunglasses that were on my head or my keys that I put in the refrigerator (along with the milk I had just brought home from the store).  I'm not so good at remembering as I thought I was :)  Maybe you are like me?  Maybe your desk and computer screen are filled with post-it notes to help you remember.  And yet I still forget!

In October of 2008 I was eight months pregnant with my second child (already had a 13 month old boy) when my husband came home and told me with tears that he had lost his job.  This was a hard time for our family, but let me tell you dear friends it is a time I never want to forget.  In three short months I watched my husband mature into the man God had created him to be as he found a job as a youth pastor.  I watched my faith grow as we sold our house in three days and moved further from family to a new home, a new town, a new job, a new church and a new baby!  What amazing things God did in our life and miraculous ways he provided for us - it was very hard and downright frightening at times but I believe we see God's hand at work the most during difficult times because we are looking for it.  I made this layout over the weekend to remind myself and my children of our old house and the miraculous ways God moved us from that place to where we are now.


I think God knows we are forgetful people.  Over and over again He reminded His people of who He was(is) and what He did for them.  He is so faithful to keep all His promises but we forget that He does this.  Moses writes in Deuteronomy 4:9, "Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and to their children after them."


What had they seen?  They witnessed plagues and the angel of death passing over their doorways, the blood of the lamb protecting their firstborns.  They witnessed the opening of the sea providing a way of escape and the closing of the sea over their enemies.  They witnessed water from rocks, manna in the desert, healing from a bronze serpent on a stick.  So many mercies and graces from God and He wanted them to remember.  When we remember the ways He has provided for us in the past we will not fear the future.  He always keeps His promises!  I love this song that encourages us to stand on the promises of God!


"Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is a faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands." (Deut. 7:9)  A little over a year ago I was in the midst of yet another heart wrenching trial with a dear dear friend.  I was reminded of God's faithfulness to me back in 2008 and my own words came back to me, "He brought you through that - He will bring you through this."  As I wake up this morning with new trials my prayer is that I will be reminded of God's promises and faithfulness to me throughout the ages!

Where do you see His hand at work?  How have you seen His promises fulfilled in your own life?  May this day hold for you the peace and joy of remembering promises fulfilled and the hope of fulfillment yet to come!

10 comments:

Miriam Prantner said...

What a wonderful layout! I love that you scrapped this to remember, and so that your kids will be able to see the struggles, but also how your faith deepened!

Sherri said...

Such a wonderful reminder of how much we are deeply loved, and cared for by our Father God. Praising God right along with yo for the way that you and your family have come through the tough stuff xo. Thank you for sharing Elizabeth!

krazykropper said...

I can say that right now, I am seeing God's hand & provision for us on an almost daily basis. My husband lost his job mid-January. God has provided for us financially through the selling of my mom's house, a Sunday School class that took up a collection for us, a fellow PTA parent that took me grocery shopping, & a family at church that paid our mortgage!

Now, we each have entry-level jobs as we wait on God & His perfect timing in providing the perfect job for my hubby.

By the way, I love your layout! The colors are great & I love the idea! Great job!!

Squeaky Connors said...

Thanks Elizabeth. I am happy to find this blog and I want to share it with a friend. The Bible verse and layout reminded me why I scrapbook.

PaulaJ said...

Thank you for your beautiful testimony. I have been blessed to see many miracles in my life - especially those of being blessed with 2 healthy children against all odds. God is so good.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you Miriam! So glad you took the time to comment :) I am loving designing here and seeing God even more in my every day moments!

Elizabeth said...

It always amazes me when I am going through a difficult time how often I feel like I am just not going to make it - then when I look back and see God's hand working in so many ways I am humbled at how He brought me through :) Thanks Sherri! I am blessed by you :)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much Charis :) I will be praying for your family as God continues to provide for you in so many ways!

Elizabeth said...

Thank YOU Squeaky :) I'm so glad you found use as well! Are you going to the CTMH convention in July? I'd love to meet you in person :)

Elizabeth said...

AMEN Paula! God is so good! All the time :) Thank you for taking the time to comment :)