Monday, March 26, 2012

Dream Come True

"I will give thanks to you O Lord with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds."
Psalm 1:9
source
It has been more than 20 years since I lived in a home where love came at a cost, and where I was frequently reminded that I would never amount to anything.  I moved out of my parents' home at the age of 17, never to return.  As much as I felt like I was alone in this world, I knew for a fact that the Lord had His eye on me.  Looking back, I believe that all throughout my childhood he strategically placed grown ups in my life, to love, and care for me.  People who prayed for me, and never hesitated to tell me the good they saw in me.  To me, they were Jesus with skin on.  They were the example I followed of what it meant to love Him, and live a life that was pleasing to Him.  The relationships I had with friends' parents, camp counselors, and staff, teachers, and peers helped me to both see and feel the love of my Father.  Through them, I came to see that I wasn't alone in this world.  I have no doubt that it is because of the love of these people, and their involvement in my life, whether face to face, or simply through their prayers, that I am who I am today.  Sometimes I look around me, and I am overcome with thanksgiving for all that I have, and all that I have become when my life could have turned out so differently.  I should have been the girl looking for love in all the wrong places, the one who was broken and scared, and took out her rage on others.  I should have been anything but the woman I am today, blessed beyond measure.  I have a husband who loves me, and does his very best to ensure that I know it.  I have three beautiful girls who, in my opinion are walking, talking miracles.  I have women in my life who know me, really know me.  They love, and encourage me.  They challenge me when they know I need it, and they aren't afraid to let me know when I'm being too hard on myself, or others.  I have Spiritual gifts, that I am able to use to encourage, and influence the world around me to the benefit of the Kingdom of Heaven.  I know that I am not perfect.  I can drive my husband crazy with my nagging, and all my list making.  I can exasperate my kids in the same way.  And my tongue has been known to get me into trouble on more than one occasion, with more than one friend.

With the patience and forgiveness of friends, and family, and the promise of my Lord that his mercies are new every morning (Lamentation 3:22-23).  I will continue to believe the promise, the promise the Lord gives in Jeremiah 33:3 that says when we call on Him, He is sure to answer us.  I am living my dream.  This life of mine, with all it's the ups and the downs, all it's joys and disappointments, was once only a dream, but now is a reality.  I am oh, so grateful I get to live it.  It all began with prayer.  My prayers, and the prayers of the many who came and went in my life.  If you happen to recognize yourself in some aspect of my story, be encouraged.  Know that the Lord is with you.  He promises to never leave you.  He hears your prayers, and knows how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together.  He has a plan.  If perhaps you are the one praying for the 'wondering soul', know that your prayers do not fall on deaf ears.  Change will come, the 'wanderer may not yet know it, but it is the power of your prayers that is just the very thing of which they are in desperate need.  You are becoming part of their story, quite possibly, their dream come true.

"To the one who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power, that is at work within us, to Him be the glory..." Ephesians 3:20-21.


8 comments:

Jeannine said...

Sherri, your words had me in tears. Sometimes it was tears of sadness to learn of the pain you'd experienced and sometimes it was the words of encouragement and joy you shared with us. I know I keep telling you this but it bears repeating (again! lol) ...you need to write a book!! You have such a beautiful way with words, you really do. You know how to express yourself so well it's easy to understand how you feel about the topic you're describing. I'm so happy for the people in your life who prayed for you during those years. I'm also happy that our paths have crossed because of SEM! My life is richer because of you. You encourage me so much, you have no idea. Thank you for sharing your praise with us. I'm praising God right along with you now! :)

mgpm said...

What a beautiful testimony! Praise God for He is SO GOOD! :) I think the difference between success and failure can fall into just two things. Having someone pray for you, and having "eyes" to see. God always gives us a way out, a way up, a way for us to survive. If we have eyes to see it we can not only make it but thrive as well. I also had a difficult home. My mother was severely lacking in mothering skills. She hadn't been mothered well herself, either. But God provided for me from literally the MOMENT I was born...a woman at my mom's work INSISTED that she be my Godmother. So because of this woman's insistance---I was baptized and this lady took a special interest in me, and made me feel special every holiday, every birthday. Then my parents lived next door to a couple who only had one child. They became my caregivers while my parents worked (and they BOTH worked a lot) and they were beautiful Godly people who gave me a blueprint of how a family should be. They loved me like their own child! I could go on...God has given me SO many "mothers," wonderful women who guided and loved me....and really filled in the gaps for me. So your post here really resonates with me. I'm glad you've been so blessed, and that you have the eyes of faith to see how blessed you are. :D (((hugs))

Cara G said...

What an awesome & beautiful "God story" you have...thank you so much Sherri for sharing it with us.

Lisa H said...

This is beautiful Sherri, thank you so much for sharing it with us! I am thankful that God had his hand on you throughout your childhood and brought you to where you are today. =)

Trina said...

Thanks for sharing something that is dear to you and the happiness that came.

PaulaJ said...

such a beautiful testimony! May God continue to bless you.

DebbiB said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony - may God continue to bless you abundantly!

Anonymous said...

thank you for the courage to share your wonderful testimony - God Bless you and your family!