Monday, January 9, 2012


A new year, a new Word Of The Month

This is the time of year when many of us will make New Year's resolutions. All variety of commitments have been made in the past couple of days. Perhaps this is where my thinking was as I considered the word for this month. The word that kept coming back to me was grow. It started as change, but I knew that the essence of the word change is to do a 180 degree turn, to refrain from doing one thing and begin doing another. That wasn't exactly what was stirring in my heart. I was feeling more the desire to BE changed and not so much to turn away from any one thing. That's where grow comes in. It's perfect. Scripture also uses the word refined to describe growth. Romans 12:2 quotes this desire for growth perfectly “do not conform to the patterns of this world, but rather be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”

I do not make resolutions, mine rather, is a conscious effort to be more, do more, understand more, love more, and, to the best of my ability, live in a way pleasing to God. Love my neighbour, give of my resources (my time, my finance, my home), and be a reflection of what I believe Jesus is calling me to be in this broken world, as a woman, wife, mother, sister, friend, and all the many roles I fill in between. May I propose that January, regardless of your faith background be a month of pursuing growth? A becoming more of the person you'd like to be in this world. Growth in the areas that really make a difference. Perhaps it's growth in the area of financial responsibility, or personal health, or integrity in your place of work, or parenting, or opening your home to create community among neighbours and friends. We are all works in progress, a commitment to growth deepens the quality of our character, and help us to leave a legacy we can be proud of. Rather than simply being, and surviving our lives, we have a real opportunity to be inventive, to thrive, to love deeply, and unconditionally, and to affect the world around us in a truly uplifting and positive way. How will you choose to grow this month?

This month I want to start a year long habit of taking my scrapping to another level. I want to intentionally capture, and document more of the everyday miracles, and blessings God is pouring out on me. Rather than focusing on just one or two photos over the course of a month or so. I want to record snippets of every week. The goal for me is to be able to look back at the everyday, ordinary goings on of my family's life and see it all, the good, and the not so good, the areas where I've allowed God to stretch me, and those where I know He's at work in, and through me, my kids, and my hubby.
The title page of my "Moments In Between" Album.  You can see close ups and read more about my project on my personal blog here.
If you become inspired to focus on an area of growth in your own life, we'd love to hear about, just link us up in the comments section. We'll be here to listen, cheer you on, and celebrate with you as you do. It's not always easy, but it sure helps to have friends along the way.

Don't forget about Challenge #12, it may be the perfect way to begin recording your own in between moments, plus there's a wonderful prize up for grabs too.

Sherri

11 comments:

CarrieB said...

Thanks so much for sharing! That was a great piece - just what I needed on a Monday Morning!

Carol said...

definitely a great goal to have! Fabulous page Sherri ;)

Monique Liedtke said...

What a great blogpost Sherri! Loved reading it and totally agree with your one word! Your layout is just perfect!

Zarah said...

Lovely work and I heart the thought you put into it!

Anabelle O'Malley said...

This is wonderful!!! I love your word of the year. Can't wIt to see what you do each week with this.

Alex said...

Fabulous page, Sherri! Looking forward to follow your work on this project!

Kate Vickers said...

Great work, Sherri! I love this page.

Tanya Tahir said...

This is such a beautiful post and layout, Sherri! You are awesome!!

Jeannine said...

Sherri, I always love reading your posts because it never fails that you'll say something to either challenge or inspire me. This post has accomplished both! I love the idea of paying attention to the little things because it's so easy to get caught up in life and the busy schedules we have and miss the little things. I needed this today so thank you for sharing.

Also, your page is beautifully done, as always, so great job on the page too! :)

KarenC Inspired said...

I've become a design team member @ Word Art Challenge. Might be something you ladies would be interested in. Each week there is a scripture that we use in a card, layout or canvas. It's been very inspiring for me. I have a terrible memory & it's helped me study & meditate on one scripture a week. AND I've actually remembered them! It's applied to my life during the week as well. I've also been able to share it with others. I definitely love your idea & plan on doing it myself! Have a great-growing 2012!

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Beautiful post and layout, Sherri!!! Fabulous! :D