Friday, July 1, 2011

Friday Praise Post

Hello!  Jeannine here with today's praise post.  My praise has to do with a struggle I’ve had with anxiety for over 20 years.  It’s not something I really talk about with people because I’m embarrassed by it, but I felt it was something God wanted me to share.

My anxiety has really hindered my life in some ways.  It’s not nearly as bad as it once was, but still enough to make me feel bad about myself.  People who struggle with anxiety are often ashamed of it and do all they can to hide it.  While I must admit I still do that in some circumstances, for those closest to me I’m an open book about it.  I found that it actually helps to not hide it, as strange as that may sound.  

Anyway… onto my praise… I’m currently reading a book about overcoming anxiety that was written by two Christian authors.  It’s an awesome book with loads of great information in it, but just reading a book isn’t going to solve the problem – you have to apply what you’re reading!  When I finished reading the two most recent chapters, even though it’s on negative thinking and how I shouldn’t allow those thoughts in my mind, I did find myself thinking, “Oh my word, I’m never going to get past this problem.”  (First rule the book teaches you is to not allow yourself to believe thoughts like that!  I'm working on it though.)

As I came to my computer to start typing up the praise post for today, I checked my email for a response from a friend I was hoping to get and saw that I had an email from a site called “Whisper of God”.  I almost put off reading it but instead clicked on it and here’s what the message was…

A little bit of faith can go a long way.  If you really believe that God is with you and strengthens you, you will have the confidence to take on challenges that one seemed impossible and feel you can accomplish things you never thought you would be able to do."  

I’m happy to say that this is most definitely not the first time something like this has happened with me.  On the contrary, it’s been pretty frequent!  I love it when things like this happen though.  It’s so clear to me that God wanted to let me know that even though it seems impossible to me, it’s not impossible with God!  It gave me renewed hope and encourages me greatly to know that God is trying to tell me that I will find victory over this issue, I just need to have faith!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Thank you for sharing! God is so good...he is slowly working in you to get past this!!!

Amanda Profumo said...

I also struggle with anxiety. I don't hide it... anymore. It feels better to talk about it. Good job having the courage to battle the problem!

Amy said...

How awesome is that? I love it when God speaks to us like that, don't you? Thank you so much for sharing. *Hugs*